JCC Richards IX
JCC
- סוג מסמך
- מסמך משפטי
- שפה ראשית
- ערבית
- תאריך
- 1456-01-18
- תאריך מקורי
- 9 Safar 860
- ספרייה
- JCC
- אוסף
- JCC
תיאור
מסמך מבית דין מוסלמי משנת 1456, המתאר בפירוט רב את המעמד המשפטי של בתי הכנסת היהודיים בקהיר ובפוסטאט, וכן של הכנסיות הנוצריות. המסמך נשתמר בבית הכנסת הקראי דאר סמחה, שם זוהה וצולם על ידי ד"ש ריצ'רדס בשנת 1969. ריצ'רדס פרסם מאוחר יותר תעתיק ותרגום של הטקסט. מקום הימצאו הנוכחי של המסמך המקורי אינו ברור, אך נראה שהופקד בספרייה הלאומית המצרית (ראו רוסטו). אורך המסמך שישה מטרים והוא מכיל יותר מ-300 שורות. הוא אינו שלם — חסרות שורות בראשו (ובכללן שתי שורות שעדיין היו קיימות בעת שגוטהייל פרסם אותו לראשונה ב-1907), וחלק לא ידוע חסר לאחר שורה 67. המסמך פותח בתיאור אירועים, גזרות והחלטות בית דין קודמות בנוגע לחוקיות בתי התפילה הלא-מוסלמיים, להחלת תנאי עומר על הלא-מוסלמים ולקבלת התנאים על ידי מנהיגיהם. החל משורה 25 מתוארת עתירה שהובאה בפני הקאדי החנפי על ידי "עבד אלחק, שיח' טאיפת אליהוד אלקראאיין" ו"אסחאק רייס אליהוד אלרבאן" (שורות 34-35). הקאדי שקל את הבקשה לאור פסיקות קודמות ולאור התחייבות מנהיגי הלא-מוסלמים סביב אירועי 1442-1443 (הנדונים במאמרו של מארק כהן). הוא הורה לסגנו, אפצ'ל אלדין, לבדוק את המצב. הסגן, בלוויית מספר חכמים ואדריכלים, יצא לבחון "את שני בתי הכנסת של היהודים הקראים, בקהיר ובפוסטאט — בקהיר בחארת זוילה". בשורה 67 ישנו פער בטקסט, שבו פורט מהלך הבדיקה (אלכשף) (ייתכן שחלק מהטקסט החסר שייך למסמך אחר). כשהטקסט מתחדש, מתואר בפירוט בית כנסת אחר (ככל הנראה זה שבפוסטאט), ובכלל זה כל הטעון תיקון או בנייה מחדש. גבולותיו מתוארים בשורות 90-94, ומודגש כי בית הכנסת מוקף הריסות מכל עבריו, פרט למסגד בצד הצפוני אשר אף הוא זקוק לתיקונים. סגן הקאדי העיד על הממצאים בכ"ז ברמצ'אן 859 לה' (10.9.1455) ואמר כי יש להתיר את השיפוצים. ההיתר עורר התנגדות. ארבעת הקאדים התכנסו, ובתי הכנסת בפוסטאט נבדקו בשנית, ובהם "בית הכנסת בשכונת (ח'ט) מצאצה, בהריסות פוסטאט" (שורה 151). נמצא כי בית כנסת זה עומד בהתאם למה שהותר, אך הסתבר שכנסיות נוצריות אחדות שופצו ללא היתר (שורות 160-161). הקאדים התכנסו שוב, וסקר נוסף יצא לדרכו. נמצא כי כנסיית אבו ג'ורג' שופצה ללא היתר. האחראי על הכנסייה, מיכאיל בן שרכיס (שורה 184), הוחזק אחראי, הולקה, הוצעד ברחובות ונכלא. חלק מהנוכחים ביקשו להרוס את כל בתי התפילה הלא-מוסלמיים. בעקבות זאת התנהל דיון ממושך באשר לתחומי ההיתר המדויקים שניתנו במסגרת התנאים שאושרו בתחילת 1443. בסופו של דבר הכריע הקאדי החנפי כי יש להתיר את התיקונים (החל משורה 235). סגן הקאדי, אפצ'ל אלדין, יצא שוב בלוויית מספר בודקים ומהנדסים, ואלה התירו את השיפוצים בבית הכנסת הקראי "בחארת זוילה, בתוך שכונת הקראים (בדאח'ל חארת אלקראאיין) בשכונה האמורה" (שורה 242). השיח' עבד אלחק קיבל את ההיתר. לאחר מכן מובא העתק תנאי עומר שאליהם התחייבו מנהיגי הלא-מוסלמים בשנת 1443, בצירוף שמות המנהיגים. הקאדי החנפי וסגנו אישרו את המסמך בתשעה בצפר 860 לה' (18.1.1456). בהמשך מופיעה רשימה של תיקונים קלים, וחתימות העדים והמהנדסים שהשתתפו בבדיקות.
Princeton Geniza Project description: Muslin court document from 1456, thoroughly describing the legal status of Jewish synagogues in Cairo and Fustāt, as well as Christian churches. The document was preserved in the Qaraite synagogue Dār Simḥa, where it was identified and photocopied by D.S. Richards in 1969. He later published a transcription and translation of the text. The current whereabouts of the original document are not clear, but it seems it was deposited in the Egyptian National Library (see Rustow, A Lost Archive, p. 496 note 8). The document is 6 meters long and contains more than 300 lines. It is not complete – some lines are missing from the top (including 2 lines that were still there when the document was first published by Gottheil in 1907), and an unknown portion is missing after line 67. The document first describes earlier events, decrees and court decisions concerning the legality of non-Muslim prayer houses, the imposition of the Covenant of ʿUmar on the non-Muslims and their leaders’ acceptance of it. Then (line 25 onwards) a petition was brought before the Ḥanafī Qāḍī by “ʿAbd al-Ḥaqq, shaykh tāʾifat al-yahūd al-qarāʾiyīn” and “Iṣḥāq rayyīs al-yahūd al-rabān” (lines 34-35). The Qāḍī considered it in light of previous rulings and the non-Muslim leaders’ commitment around the events of 1442-1443 CE (discussed in Mark Cohen’s article in BSOAS 47). He ordered his deputy, Afḍal al-Dīn, to look into the situation. The said deputy, with several scholars and architects, went to inspect “the two synagogues of the Qaraite Jews, in Cairo and in Fustāt – in Cairo in Ḥārat Zuwayla”. Here (line 67) there's a gap in the text, where the inspection (kashf) was detailed (some of the missing text might be PGPID 40664). When the document resumes, a different synagogue (apparently the one in Fustāt) is described in detail, including all that needs to be repaired or rebuilt. Its boundaries are described in lines 90-94 and it is stressed that the synagogue is surrounded by ruins from all sides, except a mosque on the northern side which also needs repairs. The deputy Qāḍī testified to the findings on 27th of Ramaḍān 859 AH (10.9.1455 CE) and said that renovations should be permitted. This permission was resisted by others. The four Qāḍīs convened, and the synagogues in Fustāt were inspected again, among them “the synagogue in the neighborhood (khut) of Maṣāṣa, in the ruins of Fustāt” (line 151). This synagogue was found to be standing according to what was permitted, but some Christian churches were found to be renovated without permission (lines 160-161). The Qāḍīs convened again, and another survey went on its way. It was found that the Church of Abū Gurg was renovated without permission. The person in charge of the church, Mikhāʾīl b. Sharkīs (line 184), was held responsible, flogged, paraded and imprisoned. Some of the attendees wanted to destroy all the non-Muslim prayer houses. A prolonged discussion on the exact permission included in the Covenant approved in early 1443 followed. It was eventually decided by the Ḥanafī Qāḍī that repairs should be permitted (lines 235 forward). The deputy Qāḍī, Afḍal al-Dīn, went once again with several inspectors and engineers, and they gave permission for renovations in the Qaraite synagogue “in Ḥārat Zuwayla, within the Qaraite neighborhood (bi-dākhil ḥārat al-qarāʿiyīn) in the aforementioned neighborhood” (line 242). The shaykh ʿAbd al-Ḥaqq received the permission. Then follows the copy of the Covenant of ʿUmar to which the non-Muslim leaders committed to back in 1443 CE, along with the names of the leaders. The Ḥanafī Qāḍī and his deputy approved the deed on the ninth of Ṣafar 860 AH (18.1.1456 CE). Then follows a list of minor corrections, and the signatures of the witnesses and engineers who participated in the inspections.